Which is correct to be used to or to be use? What is the difference between be used to and get used to?
Which Is Correct to Be Used to or to Be Use?
To be used to is correct. If you are used to something, it is not new or strange for you.
To Be Used to Sentences/ To Be Used to Examples
Below is how to use to be used to in sentences.
To be used to +ing
Here are some to be used to +ing examples:
- I am used to getting up very early. I am an early bird. (to be used to doing sth/ be used to + ing)
- My father is used to staying up. He is a night owl.
- I am not used to working in noisy places. (negative sentence)
- We are used to speaking to strangers or foreigners.
- Are you used to eating snakes? No, I’m not.
- I was not used to eating out, but I am used to it now. (negative sentence/ to be used to+ pronoun)
To be used to + noun (To be used to something)
- I am used to foreigners. I do not find it difficult to speak to them. I am used to them.
- Are you used to crowded places? (to be used to something)
We use “be used to” to speak about things that are familiar and not strange or difficult for us.
“Be used to” is followed by verb + ing
“Be used to” can be followed by a noun or a pronoun.
The form of “used to” in “be used to” does not change in negative sentences and questions.
To get used to
What does it mean to get used to?
To get used to something/doing something means become used to something/doing something. To get used to is used to speak about things that become less strange, less difficult or familiar.
Get used to examples
Get used to + ing/noun/pronoun in sentences.
- I have found a new job. I need to get used to suits and ties instead of my jeans.
- I still can’t get used to getting up early every morning.
- My kid is always losing her glasses. She has not got used to wearing them yet.
- I did not like tea with milk when I was a child, but I have recently got used to it.
- We use “get used to” to speak about things that become less strange, less difficult or familiar.
- After “get used to” we use verb+ing
- We can also use a noun or a pronoun after “get used to”
Get Used to Do or Doing
In fact, get used to is followed by verb+ing or noun. So, get used to doing is correct. Get used to do is not correct.