What is a simile? What is a metaphor? What are simile and metaphor examples?
In this post, we’ll define simile and metaphor. We’ll also list some best similes and metaphors.
Simile and Metaphor Examples
If you are searching for good and concise definitions of simile and metaphor, you are reading the right post. You’ll also find some great examples of simile and metaphor.
Simile Definition and Examples
What is a simile? What is an example of simile?
Here is a concise definition and example of simile:
A simile is a word or phrase that compares something or something else, using ‘like’ or ‘as’. ”He is as sly as a fox” is an example of simile.
Here are some simile examples sentences:
- That lady is as cunning as a fox.
- She is as sly as a fox.
- He is as cool as cucumber.
- My dad is as brave as a lion.
- He is as fast as a hare.
- His teeth are as white as snow.
- She is as pretty as a picture.
- The boxer was as strong as an ox.
- They are different as night and day.
- I am as busy as a bee these days. I have much work to do.
- He ate the meal like a pig. He must have been starving.
- Hurry up! You are moving like a snail.
- The dress fits her like a glove.
- He ran like the wind.
- He is slow like a tortoise.
- His face is like a mask.
What is a metaphor?
A metaphor is a word or phrase used to describe someone or something to show that the two people or things have similar qualties and to make the description clear and powerful. A metaphor doesn’t use ‘like’ or ‘as’.
”Time is momey” is a good example of metaphor.
Here is a list of metaphors examples:
- Time is money.
- Spring of joy.
- He broke my heart.
- He was a lion in the fight.
- He has a heart of stone.
- The mind is an ocean.
- You are the apple of my eye.
- The snow is a white blanket.
- Our teacher is a walking encyclopedia.
- She is the light in my life.
- Life is a journey.
- Don’t steal any more time from me.
- Her hope was a fragile seed.
- That place is a paradise
- Beauty is a fading flower.
- I was lost in a sea of nameless faces.
- My job is an ordeal.
- His heart is huge.
- She was showered with gifts.
- Her heart was a stone.
- What you did broke my heart.
Metaphors and similes are important and powerful literary devices that you can use in your writings. We hope that these simile and metaphor examples are of help to you.