Metaphor meaning/ definition/ What is a metaphor?
A metaphor is a figure of speech that states that one thing is something else. Unlike a simile, a metaphor is a comparison, but it does not use ‘as’ or ‘like’.
Here is a list of metaphors and metaphor sentences that you may hear in everyday conversation. Some of the following metaphor sentences can be found in literature.
- He was a lion in the fight.
- The Internet connection was slower than a tortoise.
- She has a heart of stone.
- Time is money.
- Laughter is the best medicine.
- Age is a state of mind.
- Time flies.
- You are my sunshine.
- There is a garden in her face.
- Our teacher is a walking encyclopedia.
- I slept the sleep of the dead last night.
- She is a snake in the grass.
Metaphor examples for kids
- She is a peacock.
- She is a chicken.
- The thunder was a mighty lion.
- The moon is a white balloon.
- The sun is a golden ball.
- He is a night owl.