Making and responding to requests
Request(n): asking for something or asking someone to do something in a polite or formal way.
Below is a list of expressions that you can use in making requests and responding to requests.
- Could I/we ask you a question?
- Can/ Could you help with this difficult exercise?
- Could you lend me some money until tomorrow?
- Could you possibly ………..?
- I wonder if you could….?
- Would you close the door, please?
- Do you think you could……?
- Would you mind helping me with this heavy bag?
- Would you mind if I opened the window? It’s hot in here.
Responding to Requests
- Certainly not
- Yes, of course
- Sorry I can’t
- I’ll see what I can do
- I’m afraid I can’t
- No, not at all
- Actually, I’d like to keep it closed