Internet refers to the large system of connected computers around the world. This system allows people to communicate with each other and share information.
Because you use the Internet frequently, It’s good to know a number of Internet vocabulary that you can use to talk about your online activities in English. So, what is vocabulary internet? What words are related to the internet?
Internet vocabulary refers to the phrases and words that you need to know when you are on the Internet in general and social media in particular so that you can use the Internet comfortably. Below are different lists of words related to the internet.
This post is really meaty. You’ll get to know a lot of vocabulary related to Internet, but I would like to start with the most common words you need to know to talk about the Internet.
10 most common words related to Internet
- Go online
- Surf the Net
- Surf the Internet
|Words related to Internet||Meaning|
This list of words contains a number of Internet verbs with meaning.
Internet verbs (phrasal verbs)/intenet terminology
- Plug sth in
Connect sth to the socket (= outlet)
- Switch sth on / off
Turn sth on/off by pressing a button or switch.
- Log in / on
To perform the actions that allow you to begin using a computer system.
- Log off / out
To perform the actions that allow you to finish using a computer system
- Click on
To carry out a computer operation by pressing a button on the mouse or keyboard.
- Type in
To write sth using a computer
- Scroll up/down
To move text on a computer up or down so that you can read different parts of it.
- Print out
To produce a document or information from a computer in printed form.
- Go down
Crash: stop working suddenly
Internet vocabulary esl in examples
Here are some internet words in example sentences
- Plug the computer in.
- Switch the computer on.
- Log on using your password.
- Click on the Internet symbol (Internet browser).
- If you want to open the program, just click on the icon.
- Type in the website address/ Type in the keyword in the search box.
- Scroll down/up the page.
- Print out the information you want.
- Log off, shut down the computer and switch it off.
- As soon as I opened the attachment, my computer went down.
Other Internet terms (vocabulary about internet)
Below is another list of internet vocabulary. This list of Internet-related vocabulary is not exhaustive. It will be updated now and then.
Internet vocabulary/Internet terminology
Here is a list of vocabulary about internet.
- Intranet: a computer network that is private to a company, university, etc. but is connected to and uses the same software as the Internet.
- LAN: Local Area Network = a system for connecting the computers of people who work in the same company.
- Wireless LAN (= hotspot ): A wireless LAN has the same structure as a wired LAN that uses cables. The difference is that instead of connecting with cables, computers use radio waves to communicate with a hotspot.
- Switch: the electronic device that forms the “center” of a LAN.
- Port: The socket on a switch to which a cable can attach.
- WAN: Wide Area Network as opposed to LAN.
- Email (electronic mail): a way of sending messages and data to other people by means of computers connected together in a network.
- Attachment: a document that you send someone using email.
- Router: a device that sends data to the appropriate parts of a computer network.
- Password: a series of numbers or letters that you must type into a computer or computer system in order to be able to use it.
- The World Wide Web (referred to as WWW or the web) is a service on the internet. It consists of a set of linked documents called webpages which can be viewed using a program called a browser.
- Internet: the global telecommunication network
- Digital (adjective): using a system in which information is shown in the form of numbers. A computer is digital because inside a computer, all information is represented by numbers.
- Digital communication: communication provided by the Internet.
- Browser: a program that lets you look at or read documents on the Internet such as Google Chrome, Opera, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Safari, etc.
- Domain name: it indicates the network domain in which the webpage is stored e.g. englishdotcom.net
- Domain extension: “.net” in www.englishdotcom.net is a domain extension.
- .net: Network
- .com : Commercial business
- .org: Organizations
- .edu: Educational institution
- .gov: Government agencies
- .mil: Military
- URL: (Uniform Resource Locator) the web address of a webpage e.g. https://englishdotcom.net/study-skills-in-college/. The URL consists of a number of separate parts divided by forward slashes (/).
- HTTP:// is referred to as the protocol prefix and indicates that the hypertext transfer protocol should be used to transfer the webpage across the Internet.
- Keyword: the word that users type in the search box of a search engine.
- Search engines: people use them to search for websites and information on the Internet. For example, Google, Bing, AOL.com, yandex.ru, Baidu, to name but a few.
- SEO= Search Engine Optimization (internet vocabulary)
- Web pages: documents that are connected to the World Wide Web and that anyone with an Internet connection can see. A web site can have several web pages.
- Download: to move data to a smaller computer system from a larger one.
- Upload: move data to a larger computer system from a smaller one.
- FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions about a website, a company, an organization, etc.
- Phishing: A term used by security experts to describe email messages that attempt to lure victims into sending money or revealing their personal information that normally should be kept confidential (e.g., credit card numbers and expiration dates, ATM PINs, and bank account numbers).
- Virus: instructions that are hidden within a computer program and are designed to cause faults or destroy data.
- IT: stands for Information Technology.The study and use of electronic processes and equipment to store and send information of all kinds, including words, pictures, and numbers.
- Over/on the Internet: using the Internet. ⇒ I buy all my books over/on the Internet.
- Surf the Net/Internet: use the internet. ⇒ He spends too much time surfing the Internet.
- WiFi: Wireless Fidelity = a system for connecting electronic equipment like computers, smartphones, etc. and electronic organizers to the Internet without using wires.
- Social media / social networking websites: websites where people share their interests such as Facebook, Whatsapp, Reddit, etc.
- App (= Application ): a mobile app / a program or a software application designed to do a particular job.
- IP address = Internet Protocol address: a number which is given to each computer when it is connected to the Internet.
- Mail list (mailing list): a list of addresses and names kept by a company/organization so that it can send advertisements and information to the people on the list.
What’s another way to say online?
Another way to say online is connected to the Internet.
On the web, on the Internet, plugged in, connected to, virtual, on-line, electronically connected, on-screen, etc. are other words for online.
Since you are most of your time connected to the internet, you should not miss out on this important list of vocabulary related to internet as well as the computer-related words below to enrich your vocabulary.
Computer vocabulary words/internet terminology
Here is a computer terms list with definitions (computer vocabulary words with meaning):
- Programming: the process of writing and testing programs for computers.
- Programming language = computer language: a set of rules, words, etc. that are used for writing computer programs.
- Software program: a set of rules or instructions or procedures
- Computer program: a set of instructions that makes a computer do a particular thing.
- Spyware: computer software that obtains information about a user’s computer without the user’s consent or knowledge.
- PDA: Personal Digital Assistance = a small computer that you can carry with you.
- CPU: Central Processing Unit
- Cursor: a line on a computer screen that moves to show the point where work is being done:
- CD: Compact disc ( a small disc on which information or sound is recorded)
- CD burner: a piece of equipment for copying sound or information onto a CD.
- CD-ROM: Compact disc read-only memory ( a CD on which a large amount of information, pictures, and sound can be stored, for use on a computer.
- CD–RW: Compact disc re-writable (an empty compact disc that you can use to record information on and read information from, using a special type of drive.
- RAM: Random Access Memory (a memory that allows access to any particular piece of information at almost any time. Data in this memory can be changed or removed and can be looked at any order ).
- Virtual memory: space that can be used on the hard drive of a computer to store information temporarily so that there is more memory available when it is needed by software such as a computer game.
- IP Address: a series of numbers separated by dots that identifies a particular computer connected to the Internet.
- Modem: a device that transfers digital data over a carrier wave, either on a wire or wireless network.
- GB: Gigabyte
- Byte: A unit of information stored in a computer. A Byte consists of 8 bits.
- Gigaflop: a unit for measuring a computer’s speed, equal to approximately one billion operations per second.
- VDU / VDT: Visual Display Unit / Video Display Terminal ( a machine with a screen like a television that displays information from a computer)
- USB drive / USB stick /flash drive = memory stick
- User ID: The username /user name by which a person is normally identified to a computer system or network.
Social media vocabulary in English
The following internet words are used to speak about social media. They can also help understand others if they are talking about social media.
|Social media vocabulary||Meaning|
|Meme||An image that is typically humorous and shared widely by people on social media.|
|Follower||A person who is tracking a particular person, a group, etc on social media.|
|Engagement||Engagement refers to any type of interaction a user has with the social media platform such as writing comments, likes, dislikes, shares, etc.|
|Hashtag||The symbol #, which is used to describe a general topic.|
|Direct message (DM)||A private message that is sent on social media.|
|Campaign||A planned activity to achieve a particular goal on social media like a Facebook campaign…|
|Phishing||A scam in which a person impersonates others so as to get internet users to reveal personal information like a credit card number, a password, etc.|
The list of internet words (Internet terms) is not exhaustive. More Internet vocabulary will be added to make it a comprehensive list.
Here is a list of words and collocations relating to education.
Learn English online with Englishdotcom.