How to write a good paragraph
A paragraph can be defined as a group of sentences that discuss only one main idea. A paragraph might be as long as ten related sentences.
What are the steps in writing a good paragraph?
To write a good paragraph, you should include three main elements. They are a topic sentence, supporting sentences and a concluding sentence.
- The topic sentence is the first sentence in the paragraph. It opens the paragraph. The topic sentence states the main idea of the paragraph. That is, it shows what the whole paragraph is about.
- Supporting sentences are used to develop the topic sentence. In other words, they give more information about the topic sentence. Supporting sentences can give facts, statistics, details or examples.
- The concluding sentence is the last sentence in the paragraph. It usually restates the topic sentence in different words or summarizes the main points of the paragraph.
How to write a good paragraph: Examples
This is a sample paragraph about the importance of the Internet. (internet paragraph)
The Internet has become really important for three main reasons. First, it enables people to access more information than ever before. That is, people can read books, newspapers or magazines online and for free. Second, thanks to the Internet, people can communicate with others in every part of the world via social networking websites like Facebook, WhatsApp, WeChat, Twitter, Skype, Viber, Snapchat, LinkedIn, Reddit, etc. Third, the Internet is a perfect tool to study and get certificates from well-known top universities. In other words, now more than ever, anyone can do free online courses in a variety of subjects. In short, the Internet is, beyond doubt, an essential and valuable tool nowadays.
As you can see in the paragraph above, good transition words (linking words) are used to help readers understand the connection and relationship between the ideas/sentences of the paragraph. (how to write a good paragraph)
These transition signals also help students to achieve coherence in paragraph writing. That is, the movement from one sentence to another is smooth and logical.
How to write a good paragraph: Connectors
Here are good transition words:
- To introduce an additional idea: In addition, additionally, moreover, besides, furthermore, also, and, too, as well, not only …but also, an additional (+noun), another (+noun), …
- To introduce an example: For example, for instance, an example of (+noun), like, such as (+noun), namely, to give an example, a great example is, a similar example is, an additional example is, another example is, a different example is, a better example is, a common example is, …
- To express contrast or introduce an opposite idea: In contrast, on the other hand, however, yet, but, nevertheless, nonetheless, notwithstanding, although, though, even though, whereas, while, conversely, on the contrary, still, in spite of (+noun), despite (+noun), …
- To list in order: First and foremost, First, second, third, next, last, finally, the first, the second, the third, the next, the final, first of all,…
- To introduce a choice or alternative: or, otherwise, if, unless,
- To introduce a statement or explanation: In fact, as a matter of fact, in deed, that is, …
- To summarize or introduce a conclusion: In brief, in short, clearly, in summary, in conclusion, in summary, to sum up, as a conclusion, indeed, all things considered, all in all, to conclude, in a nutshell, overall, at last, finally, last but not least, …
- To express cause: For, because, since, as, because of, due to, owing to, thanks to, result from (verb), to be the result of, one effect of, one consequence of, as a result of, as a consequence of,
- To introduce a result: As a result, as a consequence, accordingly, consequently, therefore, thus, hence, so, result in, cause, have an effect on, affect, thereby,…
To write an essay, it is strongly recommended that the aforementioned transition words should be used for the sake of coherence.
Learners of English, especially those at the university, search for “How to write a good paragraph”. They also search for paragraph format and paragraph writing topics.
Vocabulary and phrases are, without doubt, of paramount importance in writing narratives, essays or any other genre of writing.