How to write a good paragraph / Paragraph writing format
A paragraph can be defined as a group of sentences that discuss only one main idea. A paragraph might be as long as ten related sentences.
Most students ask the following questions: What are the steps to write a paragraph? What is the paragraph format? How to make a paragraph? What makes a good paragraph? How to write a paragraph? How to write a proper paragraph? Paragraph writing examples … We’ll try to answer all these questions on how to write a strong paragraph.
To write a good paragraph, you should include three main elements. They are a topic sentence, supporting sentences, and a concluding sentence.
How to write a topic sentence for a paragraph/ What are supporting sentences?/ A conclusion sentence example
- The topic sentence is the first sentence in the paragraph. It opens the paragraph. The topic sentence states the main idea of the paragraph. That is, it shows what the whole paragraph is about.
- Supporting sentences are used to develop the topic sentence. In other words, they give more information about the topic sentence. Supporting sentences can give facts, statistics, details, or examples.
- The concluding sentence is the last sentence in the paragraph. It usually restates the topic sentence in different words or summarizes the main points of the paragraph.
How to write a good paragraph
To recap, a well-written paragraph should comprise the 3 main elements in the table above: A topic sentence, supporting sentences, and a concluding sentence.
How to write a good paragraph: Sample
“How to write a good paragraph” is an important skill that students need to develop, be them at high school or college. This is a sample paragraph about the importance of the Internet. (internet paragraph)
The Internet has become really important for three main reasons. First, it enables people to access more information than ever before. That is, people can read books, newspapers, or magazines online and for free. Second, thanks to the Internet, people can communicate with others in every part of the world via social networking websites like Facebook, WhatsApp, WeChat, Twitter, Skype, Viber, Snapchat, LinkedIn, Reddit, etc. Third, the Internet is a perfect tool to study and get certificates from well-known top universities. In other words, now more than ever, anyone can do free online courses in a variety of subjects. In short, the Internet is, beyond doubt, an essential and valuable tool nowadays.
Students in high school and college can use the paragraph above and learn how to write a topic sentence for a paragraph. Also, they can notice how to use supporting sentences in a paragraph. The concluding sentence example in this paragraph is perfect.
Paragraph writing format
- The topic sentence: The Internet has become really important for three main reasons.
- The supporting sentences: All the ideas used to support the topic sentence. (What comes between the topic sentence and the concluding sentence)
- The concluding sentence: In short, the Internet is, beyond doubt, an essential and valuable tool nowadays.
As you can see in the paragraph above, good transition words (linking words) are used to help readers understand the connection and relationship between the ideas/sentences of the paragraph. (how to write a good paragraph)
These transition signals also help students to achieve coherence in paragraph writing. That is, the movement from one sentence to another is smooth and logical.
Highly important links
How to write a good paragraph: Connectors
Here are good transition words:
- To introduce an additional idea: In addition, additionally, moreover, besides, furthermore, also, and, too, as well, not only …but also, an additional (+noun), another (+noun), …
- To introduce an example: For example, for instance, an example of (+noun), like, such as (+noun), namely, to give an example, a great example is, a similar example is, an additional example is, another example is, a different example is, a better example is, a common example is, …
- To express contrast or introduce an opposite idea: In contrast, on the other hand, however, yet, but, nevertheless, nonetheless, notwithstanding, although, though, even though, whereas, while, conversely, on the contrary, still, in spite of (+noun), despite (+noun), …
- To list in order: First and foremost, First, second, third, next, last, finally, the first, the second, the third, the next, the final, first of all,…
- To introduce a choice or alternative: or, otherwise, if, unless,
- To introduce a statement or explanation: In fact, as a matter of fact, indeed, that is, …
- To summarize or introduce a conclusion: In brief, in short, clearly, in summary, in conclusion, in summary, to sum up, as a conclusion, indeed, all things considered, all in all, to conclude, in a nutshell, overall, at last, finally, last but not least, …
- To express cause: For, because, since, as, because of, due to, owing to, thanks to, result from (verb), to be the result of, one effect of, one consequence of, as a result of, as a consequence of,
- To introduce a result: As a result, as a consequence, accordingly, consequently, therefore, thus, hence, so, result in, cause, have an effect on, affect, thereby,… (How to write a good paragraph)
To write an essay, it is strongly recommended that the aforementioned transition words should be used for the sake of coherence.
Learners of English, especially those at the university, search for “How to write a good paragraph”. They also search for paragraph format and paragraph writing topics.
English Writing Skills Course pdf. Download it here.
Vocabulary and phrases are, without doubt, of paramount importance in writing narratives, essays, or any other genre of writing. Use them and improve your writing skills.
Extremely important links about “English Vocabulary”
You might love to read this paragraph on the importance of learning English