We usually make a complaint to express our unhappiness or dissatisfaction with something or someone. Below are a number of expressions you can use to make a complaint, accept a complaint or reject a complaint.
A complaint is a statement that someone makes saying that they are not satisfied with something. This can be it a service, a noise,etc.
Making Complaints in English.
Here is a complaint example in a restaurant.
A: I’m sorry to this, but the meat isn’t well-cooked. (Making a complaint)
B: I can’t tell you how sorry we are. (Accepting a complaint)
How to complain/Making a complaint
The expressions below are ordered from formal (indirect/ How to complain plitely) to less formal (direct).
How to make a complaint
- I’m afraid I have a complaint about ………
- I’m sorry to bother/ trouble you, but …..
- I’m sorry to have to say this, but ……….
- I’m sorry to say this, but …………
- I understand it’s not your fault, but……..
- Excuse me but there is a problem about……
- I’d like to complain about ……..
- I want to complain about ……..
- I’m angry about ……
- I’m really not happy…
Accepting a complaint
- I’m so sorry, but this will never happen again.
- I can’t tell you how sorry I am.
- Oh dear. I’m really/ terribly awfully sorry.
- Oh, dear. I’m really sorry. I promise this will never happen again.
- I just don’t know what to say.
- I’m really sorry. We’ll do our best not to make the same mistake again.
Rejecting a complaint
- Sorry, there isn’t much we can do about it/ that.
- Well, I’m sorry there is nothing we can do about it.
- I’m afraid, there isn’t much we can do about it.
- I’m sorry but the meat is just alright.
Expressions to apologize and respond to apologies
How to complain about a problem video
Leave a Reply