Hotel vocabulary / Hotel phrases/Hotel English vocabulary
Here is a list of hotel vocabulary and phrases:
The following vocabulary hotel are a variety of words used in hotel industry.
A room or rooms in a house or hotel in which to live.
An arrangement to make sure that something is kept for your use.
Make a reservation
Reserve a room at a hotel, a table at a restaurant, etc. / To book a room, a table, a seat, etc.
To arrange to have something that you want to use later. For example, to book a night or nights in a hotel.
Reservations (= reservations department)
A department in a hotel which is in charge of bookings for rooms.
A person staying at a hotel.
A single room
A room for one person.
A double room
A room for two people
A single bed
A bed for one person
A double bed
A bed big enough for two people.
Rooms that are next to each other or joined to each other.
A large room inside the entrance of a building. (Please wait for me in the hotel lobby).
Check in: (verb)
Go to the front desk/reception in a hotel and tell the receptionist that you have arrived.
Check out (verb)
To pay your bill and leave the hotel.
The time when you leave the hotel at the end of your stay.
Reception / Front desk
The area in a hotel where visitors get help and information.
It is used for collecting slips of paper with customers’ opinions about the hotel’s services.
baggage/ luggage (uncountable noun)
All the bags that you take with you when you travel.
A small vehicle with wheels that can be used for carrying luggage.
Transport service that is offered regulary between two places.
Overnight accommodation in a hotel with breakfast included in the price.
Pilow cases, blankets, sheets, and tablecloths.
A piece of absorbent cloth used for drying the body after swimming or having a shower.
A coin-operated machine that dispenses small articles, such as snacks, drinks, cigarettes, etc.
A piece of paper that the hotel guests display in the car window while in the hotel parking lot.
A swimming pool inside the hotel.
A period of time when you sit in a room (also called sauna) that has been heated to a very high temperature. Some saunas involve the use of steam. A good hotel has a swimming pool and a sauna.
Airport transfer means free transportation from and to the airport.
Currency exchange service is a service in which a currency (dollar, euro, etc.) can be converted into another one.
A school or college where students study hotel managemenet.
Hotel industry / hotel trade/ hotel business
The business of running hotels, hostels, motels, etc.
A big company which owns a chain of hotels.
A book for tourists. It explains what there is to sightsee in a place, where to stay, where to eat, how to travel around, etc. (The guidebook lists luxurious hotels by the beach.)
This hotel words list is not exhaustive. More hotel English vocabulary will be added to the list.
Hotel vocabulary: Hotel jobs/Hotel words list
Here is a list of hotel vocabulary related to hotel jobs (Hotel employees)
Hotelkeeper (= hotelier)
A person who manages or owns a hotel.
A hotel manager manages all the hotel’s staff.
A person who visits hotels to make sure they are respecting some regulations like hygiene, health and fire.
A person that owns a hotel or works in a hotel.
A hotel accountant does the hotel’s finances.
Finds business for the hotel.
A chambermaid cleans guestrooms.
Serves guests in the restaurant.
A bartender serves guests in a bar.
The porter carries guests’ bags to their rooms.
A concierge gives information and helps the guests.
A man who provides massage.
A woman who massages.
Amount paid ahead of time to secure a reservation.
English vocabulary hotel reception
Hotel phrases/hotel booking vocabulary
At the hotel vocabulary: Useful hotel phrases and questions related to hotel services
The following phrases, sentences, and questions can be heard or used while making a reservation, at a hotel, or while leaving a hotel.
At the hotel vocabulary examples
Here are some useful hotel expressions and phrases that you may use or hear at a hotel.
Hotel expressions and hotel phrases you may hear in a hotel
- Do you have a reservation?
- Can I see your passport, please?
- Could I have your ID, please?
- Do you want a smoking or a non-smoking room?
- Would you prefer a room with a shower or a bath, sir?
- Would you rather a room with a shower or a bath, sir?
- Would you prefer a room or separate rooms, madam?
- Would you prefer to pay cash or by credit card, sir?
- Could you fill in this registration form and sign at the bottom where I have marked with a cross?
- We have put you on the fifth floor.
- Here is your key. It’s room 50, on the fifth floor.
- Please help yourself to a morning newspaper. It’s complimentary.
- Breakfast is served from 7 to 8.30 every morning.
- Do you need help with your bags?
Hotel expressions and hotel phrases you might use at a hotel or while booking a hotel room
- I’d like to make a reservation, please.
- I’d like a single room for the night, please.
- Can I get someone to help me with my luggage?
- What time do you stop serving breakfast?
- Could you put me through to the resevations?
- I’d like to check in.
- I’d like to check out.
- I have a reservation in the name of (Your name), two nights.
- Can I have a coffee…sent up to my room, please?
- Where is the lift, please?
- Do you have a laundry service? I have some clothes that need washing.
- Is there an airport transfer? When do they leave?
- What are your hotel facilities?
- Could you upgrade my room to one that has a view of the sea?
- Can I have a wake-up call in the morning?
- I’ll be waiting in the lobby, just in front of the reception desk.
Examples of guest complaints in hotel/ Hotel complaints examples (Hotel vocabulary and hotel phrases)
- I have a problem with your hotel service.
- I’m sorry, but my room hasn’t been cleaned.
- I’m sorry, but the towels and sheets are dirty.
- The sink in our room is broken.
- I’m sorry, but there’s an unpleasant smell in the bathroom.
- My room is too hot/cold.
- I’m sorry, but the air conditioner doesn’t work.
- I want to complain about the heater. It’s not working.
- My pillow is too high. Do you have another one?
- I can’t access the WIFI.
- I can hear too much noise in my room.
- I’m sorry to bother you, but the shower is not working.
Other hotel facilities vocabulary /Hotel services vocabulary
Different types of hotels have a variety of facilities and amenities. The following are some examples:
- Free parking
- Swimming pool
- Indoor pool
- Front dest service
- Getting a booking in a restaurant
- Delivery of gifts
- Fitness centre/gym
- Complimentary toiletries
- Game room
- Complimentary tea
- Complimentary coffee
- Hair dryer
- A luggage locker or a safety deposit box.
- Car rental
- Calling a taxi
- Satellite TV
- View of the city
- View over the sea
- 24-hour room service
- Shuttle bus
Types of hotels
|Types of hotels||Meaning/Explanation|
|Luxury hotel (five-star hotel)||An extremely good hotel, with luxurious rooms and higher prices.|
|First-class hotel||A good hotel with comfortable rooms. A four-class hotel is a first-class hotel.|
|Motel||The word motel is a blend formed by joining the first part of the word ‘motor’ and the last part of the word ‘hotel’. A motel is a hotel for car drivers. It has special parking places next to the rooms.|
|Hostel||A building that provides rooms for students and other people who live away from home. In a hostel, travelers can eat and sleep.|
|Student hostel||Cheap lodging for students.|
|Youth hostel||A building where young people can stay the night cheaply. Students and young people usually look for cheap hostels.|
|Apartment hotel||A hotel in which there is a series of furnished rooms where all usual hotel services are provided|
|Resort hotel||A hotel in a resort that caters for holidaymakers rather than business visitors.|
|Coastal resort||A holiday town on the coast.|
|Health resort||A town where vacationers go to improve their health.|
|Sea resort||A holiday town near the seaside.|
|Ski resort||A town in the mountains where holidaymakers stay when they are on a skiing holiday.|
|Mountain resort||A holiday town in the mountains.|
Luxury hotel (five-star hotel)
An extremely good hotel, with luxurious rooms and higher prices.
A good hotel with comfortable rooms. A four-class hotel is a first-class hotel.
The word motel is a blend formed by joining the first part of the word ‘motor’ and the last part of the word ‘hotel’. A motel is a hotel for car drivers. It has special parking places next to the rooms.
Motels are usually found on main roads, and on the outskirts of towns. Large motels may have different facilities like swimming pools. However, motels are often used for single-night stays.
A building that provides rooms for students and other people who live away from home. In a hostel, travelers can eat and sleep.
Cheap lodging for students.
A building where young people can stay the night cheaply. Students and young people usually look for cheap hostels.
A hotel in which there is a series of furnished rooms where all usual hotel services are provided
You may also like these interesting articles on:
|Intelligence Vocabulary list with definitions|
|Check for me meaning and examples|
|Amazing verb sentences examples|
Learn English with Englishdotcom.