A Bee is a yellow and black flying insect that makes honey. There are different types of bees. ( honey bee names ). They live together in a hive and have different jobs.
Types of bees
- Queen bee: a big female bee that lays eggs. Baby bees are born from them.
- Drone: a male bee whose job is to mate with the queen bee. It does no other work in the hive.
- Worker bee: it works really hard. It collects food, makes honey and protects the queen.
Other words related to bees ( bee words)
- Honey: sweet sticky yellow food made by honeybees.
- Hive (= beehive): a place bees build to live in.
- Honeycomb: a structure that bees make. It consists of many six-sided cells where honey stored.
- Wax: a solid substance that is made from various fats or oils.
- Lay: to produce an egg out of the body.
- Collect: to gather things.
- pollinate: to give a plant or a flower pollen so that it can make seeds.
- Pollinator: bees are effective pollinators. They pollinate flowers and plants.
Facts about bees
- There is only one queen bee in a hive.
- The queen bee lays about 2000 eggs a day.
- Every bee in a hive has a specific task.
- Drones have bigger eyes.
- Drones are sometimes kicked out of the hive when there isn’t enough food in winter.
- Worker bees are all female.
- About 50000 to 60000 worker bees can live in one hive.
- The honeycomb is made of hexagonal cells because the hexagonal shape saves more space than any other shape.
- Bees are effective pollinators.
- Honey bees are native to Europe, Asia, and Africa.
You might love to read this fable about the flies and honey.